Tacos are a staple of traditional Mexican food. Theyre so good that you can find chain restaurants specializing in tacos with various kinds of fillings from beef to fish, or even vegetarian tacos!
Tacos are surprisingly easy to make and Im sure almost all of us have attempted in making DIY tacos at home. Large grocery stores are even coming up with their own DIY Taco Kit that comes with all the ingredients and seasonings that you need for a basic taco.
It mainly involves gathering a bunch of ingredients and the fun of it comes from assembling your very own Taco according to your liking.
A classic taco consists of seasoning the meat (usually beef), taco shells (corn or wheat tortilla), chopped vegetables, topped with salsa, sour cream and cheddar cheese and baked in the oven to get a crispy outer shell with melted cheddar.
This blend of ingredients creates a party of textures and flavours in your mouth. Just by writing this, my mouth is also watering!
Although store-bought DIY taco kits are fun and easy to follow, the ingredients and seasoning mix are often laced with unnecessary sugars and flavourings that are unhealthy and high in calories.
Making your own taco seasoning mix is actually as simple as buying it from the store, and most of the ingredients can already be found in your pantry. Even if you dont, the spices that you will need can easily be bought and kept in your pantry for future use.
By making your own seasoning mix, you can also adjust the levels of saltiness and spiciness to suit your taste. Once youve mixed all the spices together, you can also store your very own seasoning mix in an airtight jar to be used up to 1-2 years.
This recipe is for people who want to skip the store-bought seasoning and opt for a healthier and satisfying one.Print
- 3 tbsp. ground cumin
- 3 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- tsp. cayenne pepper optional
- 1 tsp. salt optional
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- Once youve gathered all your ingredients, its time to put them together
- In a medium-sized bowl, add the correct amount of spices according to the given measurements
- Mix all ingredients in a medium-sized bowl until well combined.
- Transfer taco seasoning mix into an airtight glass container to store until ready to use.
- If kept dry and theres no cross-contamination with other foods, it can be stored up to 1-2 years.
- This recipe makes enough seasoning for 2 pounds (2lbs) of meat can be used to season ground beef, chicken, or other meats.
- You can adjust the spiciness of the seasoning mix by adding as much or less cayenne pepper as desired.
- You can adjust the saltiness of the seasoning mix by adding as much or less salt as desired.
- This recipe does not have any added MSG or artificial flavorings and is suitable for people who are gluten-free, paleo, and keto.