Theme: I SEE (57. Words of comprehension, and a phonetic hint for the answers to the starred clues) - each theme entry is in the pattern of I* C*.
17. *Chilled caffeinated drink: ICED COFFEE.
28. *Cold War barrier: IRON CURTAIN.
44. *Close-knit, influential group: INNER CIRCLE.
60. *English name of a West African republic: IVORY COAST.
I had a little pratfall this past week and broke my left shoulder. C.C. is helping me around the house but I am pretty sure that I can drive with my right hand. Spring is almost here. No ICY CONDITIONS.
5. Barrel of laughs: RIOT. Our weather broadcasts.
9. "Joy of Cooking" writer Rombauer: IRMA.
13. Take away: MINUS. Yes, MIN is in the US.
15. Skeleton prefix: ENDO.
16. Is sorry about: RUES. I RUE the day I broke the arm. It still hurts.
19. __-lock brakes: ANTI. I think most models have these now.
20. Pt. of HDTV: DEF.
21. __ facto: IPSO.
22. "Moby-Dick" ship: PEQUOD. The ships captain was Ahab but I don't think he let Moby steer.
24. Slim woodwind: OBOE.
26. Not well: ILL. That would be me but you all know that. Chemo coming on Thursday
27. "Star Wars" pilot Dameron: POE.
32. Blueprints: PLANS. Very hard to read.
33. Orderly: NEAT. C.C. keeps our home this way. My job is the garden if winter ever ends.
34. Comply with: OBEY. I did not obey the ER doctor.
38. Frying liquids: OILS. Also paintings.
39. Holy book: BIBLE.
40. Small valley: DALE. Racer Mr. Earnhardt as well.
41. Ward on "FBI": SELA.
42. Brazilian berry: ACAI. Some fruit I have never tried
43. Medicinal units: PILLS. I keep the VA Pharmacy busy.
47. Legal org.: ABA. Yankee Aaron's batting average
50. Lummox: OAF. Yankee Aaron J.
51. Peters out: DIES.
52. Tearjerker featuring Anna Chlumsky in her feature-film debut: MY GIRL. Also a song by The Temptations.
54. Ceramics oven: KILN.
56. "__ the season ... ": TIS. To be jolly!
59. Radar screen spot: BLIP. I do not have radar, but sometimes my TV blips at me
63. Refrain syllables: LA LA. Starts with FA
64. Majorino of "Veronica Mars": TINA.
65. Cosmetician Lauder: ESTEE. Big name in smelly stuff.
66. Meadow moms: EWES.
67. Affirmative votes: YEAS. Lots of politics going on out east.
68. Pass (through) slowly: SEEP.
2. Risotto grain: RICE. A Roni. the San Francisco treat.
3. Part of the Three Musketeers' credo: ONE FOR ALL.
4. Lemon: DUD. I disagree. I like lemon on walleye.
5. NFL officials: REFS.
6. The 411: INFO.
7. "__ of Girls' Things": poem by Sharon Olds: ODE.
8. Metal tab that protects a shoe: TOE PLATE. Pitching rubber.
9. Baghdad's country: IRAQ.
10. Accumulate, as charges: RUN UP. We did some of this last week.
11. "Same here!": ME TOO.
12. "All kidding __ ... ": ASIDE. Sorry, I can never stop kidding.
14. Descendants: SCIONS.
18. Oil cartel acronym: OPEC. So, I wonder how much these guys are making when fill ups are $4.00 per gallon or more.
23. "Riverdale" actor Goree: ELI.
25. Tiny potted tree: BONSAI.
26. Slanted, as a typeface: ITALIC. It means PAY ATTENTION .
28. 1970s tennis star Nastase: ILIE. I never paid much attention to tennis.
29. Worldwide humanitarian gp.: UNICEF. Right now they are devoting time to kids in Ukraine.
30. Concrete-reinforcing rod: REBAR.
31. "Sorry, can't help ya": NO DICE. You will never hear this at the craps table in Vegas.
32. Spots to buy stamps: Abbr.: POS. Most are forever stamps now.
35. Mid-American Conference university in Indiana: BALL STATE.
36. Actress Fanning: ELLE.
37. "Of course!": YES. We have no bananas.
39. Triteness: BANALITY.
43. Royal son: PRINCE. Six years since his death, Minnesota is still honoring his memory.
45. Fin. neighbor: NOR. Many of us transplanted Norwegians are here in MN.
46. In a lazy way: IDLY.
47. Saunter: AMBLE. At my age that is called walking.
48. Internal regulation for a club: BYLAW. I only know 1 to 5 wood and 3 to 9 iron.
49. Nimble: AGILE. At my age, this word is not used.
53. Hoppy brews, briefly: IPAS.
54. Beer company based in Hawaii: KONA. Silly me, I thought all beer came from Germany.
55. Some nest eggs, for short: IRAS. Graybar took care of me however mine has money, not eggs.
58. Dance move: STEP.
61. "C'est la __!": VIE.
62. CIA predecessor: OSS.